What You Should Never Say to a Person Who’s Trying to Lose Weight
Losing weight is already an everyday struggle to some people, but instead of motivating and helping them we end up undermining them thus hurting their feelings. If you have a sibling, relative or close friend who is trying to lose weight here are some of the things that you should never say to that person:
- I baked some brownies and they’re all just for you, would you like to try some? – How can anybody refuse such offer? The one being offered will surely feel guilty refusing that offer and end up deviating from his diet just to avoid hurting the feelings of the one who made the goodies. However, if you’re the one being offered this unhealthy snack you can always say no with a smile. Gladly say, “I really think that’s sweet but I am not eating that as of the moment. However, I’m definitely sure that Suzy will love them.” without sounding offensive.
- What difference does it make if you’re a few pounds thinner? – This kind of undermining is really hurting your feelings. The best response that you give the person who said this to you is, “If you can’t support me on my weight loss goal, it would be best to change the topic.” Don’t elaborate further because you don’t need to explain your actions to anyone.
- When is your due date? – This is the worst thing you could ever say to a woman who’s in the process of losing weight. Most people end up getting slapped after saying these words. But if someone says this to you, there are two options that you can choose from. It’s either you ignore that person or respond with;”When will stop being rude?”
- Can you really eat that? – People usually say this when they see you eating a huge plate of pasta or when you’re eating desserts. Your best reply would be, “I prefer to watch the foods I eat on my own.” This would give them the idea that they don’t need to monitor you every step of the way.
- You tried this before and I’m sure you’ll never succeed in your weight loss plan. – If you have friends who treat you this way, maybe it’s time to choose a new group of friends. Find people who can support you in your weight loss goal and those that can provide you with tips that can hasten the weight loss process.
Words are really very powerful. They can change the way a person behaves and they can even transform a person’s life. But most of all, they can either empower someone or hurt that person’s feelings. That’s why we need to be careful with the things we say especially to someone who’s trying to lose weight. On the other hand, if you’re the one who’s being undermined for your weight loss efforts, don’t let these comments affect you. Instead, learn to respond in such a way that you end up becoming the winner, not them. In the end, it is you who will reap the fruits of your efforts and not them so what they say doesn’t matter.