An Expert’s Point of View: Effective Dieting and Exercise Tips for Diabetics
According to the World Health Organization, India is the destination for at least 20% of the diabetics around the world. Although this might be the case, hope is not lost. There are two ways to cure diabetes and these are through exercise and by maintaining a healthy diet.
Actually, they are not only of great help for diabetics but they can also stop Type 2 diabetes symptoms from developing in people who do not have the disease. To be able to learn more helpful dieting and exercise tips, let’s take it from the expert; Dr. Rajeev Chawla. He is a well-known diabetologist from North Delhi diabetes center. Here are some of his suggestions.
Question #1: Is exercise important to diabetics?
- It is indeed necessary to exercise if one is diabetic. This can help manage diabetes and is considered of equal significance to the medications that the patient is taking. It is advisable to exercise for 30 minutes each day.
Question #2: What types of exercises are considered ideal for diabetic patients?
- Some good examples of exercises that they can do are the following; jogging, aerobics, cycling and swimming. If one is not capable of doing the ones mentioned, brisk walking for 30 minutes daily is already good enough.
Question #3: What are your thoughts regarding insulin and food?
- Before diabetics can begin exercising, they must first ask the advice of a doctor. So that hypoglycemia can be prevented during exercise sessions, one must eat snacks before exercising.
Question #4: Which foods should diabetics avoid?
- The types foods that diabetics must avoid are the following; sweets like cakes, pastries and ice cream. In addition, fast foods should also be avoided. Juices that have refined or raw sugars should not be drunk.
Question #5: Any diet tips for the control and prevention of diabetes?
- It is highly suggested that diabetics or non-diabetics must eat small multiple meals daily. Some complex carbohydrates can be included in their diet. Foods that contain them include; fruits, vegetables, cereals and much, much more.
Question #6: Can complex carbohydrates help diabetic patients?
- Actually, complex carbohydrates can help diabetics in some ways. This is because foods containing them give the much needed energy that diabetic patients need. However, unhealthy foods that contain them should be avoided. Only cereals, fruits and vegetables are what should be eaten.